BESE Approves New Louisiana Department of Education Social Studies Standards
The following information is from the Louisiana Department of Education:
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana – The Louisiana State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE) today unanimously approved the new Standards for K-12 Students in Social Studies.
“These standards reflect the totality of events that have made America a truly exceptional nation and serve as a framework of freedom for our children to learn how Americans have always fought for freedom,” said Dr. Cade Brumley, Superintendent of state to education. “We must, and we will, teach our students to appreciate the majesty of our country and their obligations as citizens to safeguard America’s founding principles.”
Over the past two months, the LDOE has worked with multiple teams to maintain the original review goals while addressing concerns highlighted in more than 2,000 public comments.
“These standards have been informed by a year of public feedback, demonstrating why engaged and informed citizenship is essential to protecting, sustaining and improving our constitutional republic,” Brumley said. “I look forward to seeing these standards come to life in the classrooms of our state and ultimately to recognize the influence these standards will have on the State of Louisiana and the United States of America. “
The goals of the LDOE revision process were to move the standards toward an approach that balances the acquisition of subject-specific skills and content knowledge in each of the core social studies disciplines: history, civics, economics, and geography. Additionally, the revised standards create a more cohesive sequence of content, to strengthen knowledge and skills at the elementary level, ensure students are prepared for secondary and post-secondary work, and better incorporate historical perspectives of people. from different backgrounds.
- Kindergarten: life in my home, my school and my local community
- Level 1: Life in the great state of Louisiana
- Grade 2: Life in our great country, the United States of America
- Grade 3: American History: People, Places, and Records
- Grade 4: The Ancient World
- 5th year: from the medieval period to the beginning of the modern world
- Grade 6: The United States and Louisiana: From Beginnings to Ratification
- Grade 7: The United States and Louisiana: The First Republic through Reconstruction
- Grade 8: The United States and Louisiana: From the Industrial Age to the Modern Age
- High School: Civic Education
- High School: United States History
- High School: World History
- High School: World Geography
The LDOE will announce an official implementation schedule in the coming weeks.
Click here to report a typo.
Copyright 2022 WAFB. All rights reserved.